On this day in 1888, Lieutenant Colonel Thomas Edward Lawrence, also known as Lawrence of Arabia, was born.
By Trilby Kent
Hardcover | 176 Pages | Ages 10-14
In the grimy London of 1935, eleven-year-old Dominic Walker has lost his voice. His mother is sick and his father’s unemployed. Rescue comes in the form of his Uncle Roo, who arrives to take him and his young sister, Marlo, to Cornwall. There, in a boarding house populated by eccentric residents, Marlo, who keeps a death grip on her copy of The New Art of Cooking, and Dominic, armed with Incredible Adventures for Boys: Colonel Lawrence and the Revolt in the Desert, find a way of life unlike any they have known. Dominic’s passion for Lawrence of Arabia is tested when he finds himself embroiled in a village uprising against a band of travelers who face expulsion. In defending the vulnerable, Dominic learns what it truly means to have a voice.
PRAISE FOR Medina Hill:
“… Kent’s highly original debut.” – Starred Review, Booklist
“…[Medina Hill] offers vivid descriptions of the setting, lively characters, and a satisfying ending.” – School Library Journal
“…the voice of the narrator and the motley cast of characters are brilliantly realized. Kent’s language is both poetic and insightful…. Definitely a writer to watch.” – Quill & Quire
If you haven’t already, take a look at what readers were saying during the Medina Hill blog tour.
Tundra’s first blog tour came and went last week! We would like to give a HUGE round of applause to all the participating bloggers and readers who left comments. Thank you for being so accomodating in hosting a stop for Trilby Kent. Thanks again to the amazing team at Open Book: Toronto for kicking off with the first stop and for posting “Where is Trilby Kent Today?” for tour followers.
We would also like to use this chance to thank some of the people behind-the-scenes! Kathryn Cole for editing Medina Hill and Kelly Hill for the fantastic cover and design. There’s also Production, Rights, Marketing, Special Sales… Go Team!
Here is a quick round-up about Trilby Kent’s debut novel, Medina Hill:
- “…fun and eccentric but completely believable.” – Carrie Anne, Another day, another thought… or two
- “…captivating tale…” – Lauren, Lauren’s Crammed Bookshelf
- “…intriguing plot and interesting characters.” – Melanie, Melanie’s Musings
- “…looking forward to reading more by Trilby in the future.” – Cindy, Cindy’s Love of Books
- “After reading Medina Hill, I’ll certainly be on the look out for whatever Trilby writes next. The main reason? Originality.” – Kerry, Shelf Elf
- “It’s incredibly heart-warming…. ” – Carrie, Carrie’s YA Bookshelf
- “I love a book that references other books or major historical characters as a main plot point… I think that was the book’s major success.” – Janssen, Everyday Reading
- “…a satisfying, refreshing, unique tale…” – Khy, Frenetic Reader
- “…a glorious read, full of warmth and extraordinary, vibrant characters.” – Eve, Vulpes Libris
- “…well-researched and interesting…. A clever, richly texture book, both for modern children and traditionalists like me” – Sally, An Awfully Big Blog Adventure
- “Medina Hill is a clever debut novel that will appeal to fans of historical fiction….” – Jenny, Wondrous Reads
- “This book is full of warm, well constructed characters…” – Luisa, Chicklish
With permission from Morgan at Books and Literature for Teens, here is the book trailer she created for Medina Hill:
A Note from Trilby Kent: I’m not sure that I’d have anything to add, other than to extend very sincere thanks to all the bloggers for taking part. Overall, the response seems to have been really positive, which is great!
Today, we are wrapping up our first blog tour! We’re a little bit sad that this day has come so fast. It is fantastic to see what readers are saying about Trilby Kent’s debut novel. With that being said, here is what our bloggers have planned for Medina Hill today:
Tour Day 5:
- Sarah at Green Bean Teen Queen will be sharing her thoughts on Medina Hill.
- Luisa at Chicklish will share a review.
- Jenny at Wondrous Reads has a guest post from Trilby Kent!
- Sally at An Awfully Big Blog Adventure will talk about Medina Hill.
- Eve at Vulpes Libris will chat with fellow Bookfox, Trilby Kent.
Please feel free to leave comments or questions on our post. We will be happy to answer your questions!
Wow, we are at day 4 of the Medina Hill blog tour already! Here is what you can expect from today’s line-up of bloggers:
Tour Day 4:
- Shelly at Write for a Reader will be sharing a review of Medina Hill.
- Taschima at Bloody Bookaholic will be sharing a review and hosting a giveaway!
- Amanda at A Patchwork of Books will be sharing her thoughts on Medina Hill.
- Khy at Frenetic Reader will be reviewing Medina Hill.
- Leila at BookChildWorld will be in conversation with Trilby Kent!
Tomorrow’s the last day of the blog tour, don’t miss out as we finish up with bloggers in England!
This is the third day of the Medina Hill blog tour! Here is what you can expect from today’s bloggers:
Tour Day 3:
- Kristen at BookWorming in the 21st Century will be talking with Trilby Kent about the research process and hosting a giveaway!
- Melissa at Must Read Faster will be sharing a review of Medina Hill.
- Janssen at Everyday Reading in collaboration with Kayla at Ad Absurdum will be chatting about Medina Hill
- Carrie at Carrie’s YA Bookshelf will be sharing a review of Medina Hill.
- Diana at Stop, Drop, and Read will be interviewing Trilby Kent and hosting a giveaway!
Click here for the full line-up or read from Day 1 and Day 2. We hope you stick around for Day 4 and 5!