On this day in 1881, Pablo Picasso was born! Learn more about this artist:
Modern art has a language, and when it is learned it opens the door to treasure. In Picasso: Soul on Fire, Rick Jacobson and Laura Fernandez present more than the story of the painter’s life. They provide young readers with the tools with which to understand his work.
Picasso was an expert draftsman – his rendering of pigeons’ feet by the time he was eleven was so detailed that his artist father recognized the boy’s genius and stopped painting. But he took art much further, using emotions to redefine the way we see. His sense of joy infused his Rose Period. His sadness over the loss of a friend is reflected in his famous Blue Period. His viewing of an African mask made him reexamine his ideas of shape.
This beautifully illustrated homage is a splendid introduction to modern art.
Praise for Picasso:
- “Written in simple, clear language, it effortlessly leads readers through the life of the artist, exploring his influences, selected works, and his creative processes. The softly radiant oil paintings are mostly full page and enhance the enjoyment of the book…. A timeline fleshes out some of the facts imparted in the text. This eloquent tribute will serve as an introduction to Picasso and to an artist’s inspirations.” – School Library Journal
- “Fernandez and Jacobson reveal Picasso to young readers through beautiful images from the painter’s life and reproductions of some of Picasso’s works. An excellent introduction to modern art for young readers.” – BC Parent
- “Jacobsen is to be congratulated for taking a little-known figure to children and making him – and modern art – accessible. Though aimed at ages 10 and up, the book’s compelling story, beautiful illustration and reproduced paintings of Picasso will appeal to anyone who loves art.” – Today’s Parent
- “…with its unusual portraits and basic introduction to cubism and Picasso’s life, this will be an intriguing addition to the surprisingly slender offerings about the artist for this age group.” – Booklist
- “…powerful, full-page oil paintings of Picasso at various stages of his life.” – The Globe and Mail
- Finalist for the 2005/2006 Hackmatack Award
- Shortlist for the Amelia Francis Howard-Gibbon Book Award
- Finalist in the Nautilus 2005 Book Awards
Available in paperback on May 10, 2011.