It’s time to share the Reading Club reviews for Outstanding in the Rain!
Outstanding in the Rain
A Whole Story with Holes
Written by Frank Viva
Hardcover | 32 Pages | Ages 3-7
“Creator Viva hints on the cover that this is not your ordinary picture book by segmenting the first word of the title into two parts via color: out in gold, and standing in turquoise … Viva takes readers on a wild trip to an amusement park with the city skyline behind…. The excitement of the story is enhanced by changing perspectives; sometimes the illustrations are close-ups, and other times they are broad abstracts…. A must have because of the originality of the concept, the unusual palette, and the thrill of the reading experience.” – Starred Review, Booklist
- Suzanne at Squish! loved the overall design, especially “[t]he satin-y matte dust-jacket,…retro vibe of the stylized illustrations and limited colour palette…”
- Carole at Barda Book Talk calls it a “fun-filled ride.”
- Bonnie at Adalinc to Life likes the oronyms and suggests that “[a]ny budding linguist” will enjoy reading this book.
- Carrie at I Can Has Books? was “completely amazed at how beautiful this book is.”
- Cindy at Cindy’s Love of Books thinks “kids would get a kick out of reading this story or having it be read to them.”
If you read the book as well, please let us know what you thought about it in the comments below! Did anyone know what an oronym was?
As of May, our Reading Club will be on hiatus until further notice. Thanks to everyone who signed up and/or participated these past four months!